Wednesday, March 26, 2014

LinkedIn & Indeed

In the previous post I talked about the importance of tailoring your resume to the specific job that you are applying for. Where do you find these jobs you may ask? Well, you’ve come to the right place. Below, I will outline my two preferred resources for locating job opportunities!

LinkedIn
I am a HUGE promoter of LinkedIn. In my opinion, there is no better tool for online networking, career conversations, and job openings than LinkedIn. If you do not have a LinkedIn profile, create one now! Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

Back? Okay great! Searching for job openings on LinkedIn could not be any simpler. Basically, you just enter in what you’re looking for into the search bar and they populate. You can refine your search as narrow as you would like it to be. The more information you provide to LinkedIn in your profile and the more people you are connected to, the more LinkedIn will be able to suggest jobs that you may be a good fit for.



Indeed
Indeed is a glorified search engine specifically for job postings. It gathers information from company websites, job boards, and newspapers and puts it all together for you. The best part is that you do not need to develop a profile or create an account.

A very generic search can leave you feeling a bit overwhelmed. Just a quick search for the term ‘marketing’ in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania leaves me with 5,407 results. Wow! That’s a lot of jobs to go through. My recommendation is to be very specific with what you are looking for. Taking the same marketing search, I changed the term to ‘marketing coordinator’ in Philadelphia, PA and it reduced to 322 results; still a whole lot of results, but more manageable. New opportunities are added to Indeed every single day, so if you’re actively looking for a job I recommend checking it at least once a day!

To see a full list of job search websites, click here

No comments :

Post a Comment