Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Conversation with Cydney Bain, Senior Recruiter

Looking for a job can be daunting. There are so many ‘unknowns’. Cydney Bain is a recent graduate of Rutgers University where she obtained a degree in Psychology and Human Resources. After only a year out of college, Cydney was recently promoted to Senior Recruiter at Open Systems Healthcare, a home healthcare staffing firm. I spoke with Cydney recently, about her experience of looking for a job after graduating and what she now looks for in candidates.

Ali: Hi, Cydney! Thanks for taking the time to speak with me today.

Cydney: Thank you for having me!


A: So I’ll start with a simple question; tell me a bit about your experience of looking for a job after graduation.

C: I thought it would be a lot easier than it turned out to be. It was a lot of searching through career sites such as Careerbuilder and Monster. Anything that warranted a ‘Click to Apply,’ I automatically applied. I would end up getting called. I think the calls came in because I had a fairly decent resume. Eventually, I received a call from my current company. They just called me off of a Careerbuilder post. Ironically, I don’t even remember applying.

A: And is there any advice you could give to those who are looking for a job and recently out of college?

C: I think it is incredibly important to have multiple people review your resume. Advisors, friends, family, and most importantly, find a recruiter in your field and in your area. Compile their input and create your own style. Your resume is the first look at who you are as an employee to a potential employer.

A: I think that is really sound advice. Now that you work on the flip side, as a recruiter, what do you now know that you wish you knew while you were job-seeking?

C: I wish I knew how vital it is to have phone interview skills, a solid resume, along with attention to detail and a follow-up email. A good follow-up email will work in a candidate’s favor every time. There is always an initial phone interview and if it’s not on time and done well, then the candidate is automatically ruled out.

A: And if all of that is done right, what makes a candidate stand out to you?    
    
C: For me, what matters most in a candidate is creativity, dependability, adaptability, and most importantly, confidence. Also, a candidate has to really want the job. I can tell when someone has passion and drive for what they are doing. Passion and drive will always help a candidate succeed.

A: I think that’s all we have time for today. Thank you, Cydney! I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to talk with me.

C: Not a problem! I wish you the best of luck with your blog and all your future endeavors. 

1 comment :

  1. Brown&Brown isn’t looking to hire anyone. They post the same jobs just several months down the road. They use company recruiters because it’s cheaper. They like to hire college grads because they get them for free. Beware of this company they have no intention of hiring anyone. They just like to see what’s out there. If you pay attention you’ll see they post the same position. Just several months later. Waste of time employer!

    ReplyDelete