Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Networking: Conversation with Michael Thomas, Recruiter

Networking can often be a scary thought. Where do you start? How do you become good at it? Mike Thomas is a Recruiter for Razorfish Healthware, a healthcare advertising agency. With his years of experience in sales and recruitment, Mike has become a networking connoisseur. I spoke with Mike about his background, how he landed his most recent gig, and his thoughts on the importance of networking.

Ali: Hi Mike! I really appreciate you taking the time to talk with me today.

Mike: Sure thing!

A: Let me start off by asking a bit about your background and how you ended up working at Razorfish Healthware.


M: I came from a sales background. I was a wholesaler at Lincoln Financial. I left sales to join the recruiting team at a very large firm called Michael Page. Once I left Michael Page, I knew I wanted to continue recruiting so I went to a startup recruiting company focusing on creative and digital recruiting. That combined my two interests: sales and recruiting. I did that for almost 2 years, however, I had always wanted to be part of a team and build one organization as opposed to placing people at other companies. Eventually, I took my own advice that I give to candidates. That advice is to reach out to a hiring manager, recruiter, or industry professional on LinkedIn with a short, clear, concise message and resume. Just introduce yourself and see if they may be interested in speaking with you. I sent three messages and within a week I had three offers. Once I got the offer from Razorfish Healthware, I never looked back.

A: How important is networking when looking for a job?

M: Networking sometimes has a negative connotation. People often associate networking with a ‘what can you do for me’ mentality. It’s really more about building a personal brand. I have worked hard over the years to develop my personal brand. My thought is that if you are a genuine person and take the time to get to know others, you’ll develop those relationships and people will remember you.

A: Are there any particular recommendations that you have for those who are new to networking?

M: Get on LinkedIn! It’s really come down to LinkedIn. Everyone appreciates someone who’s eager coming right out of school. You have to take a proactive approach to networking. It takes guts nowadays to separate yourself from the crowd in this market, especially at this time, when every university has recent graduates coming from it. Get on LinkedIn and start forming connections.

A: Sometimes in-person networking events can be a bit nerve racking. Is there anything you do to help you shake off the nerves?

M: You just have to think that this person was in your shoes at one time. No one just came out of college as a VP of a company, or a hiring manager. Everyone started in the same place and you have to talk to them like that. You have to talk to them in a professional, clear, and respectful manner, but you don’t want to beg for the job. You need to have a presence and confidence. Having that confidence is the toughest thing to build up, but the only way to develop it is through doing it more and more.

A: After a networking event, what can you do to keep the conversation going?

M: The only way to continue the conversation is to send a follow-up message and connect with them on LinkedIn. Again, it just circles right back to LinkedIn.

A: Do you have any general advice to those who are new to networking and the job search market?

M: Make sure that their FB profile is private and keep your profile picture under wraps. I’m serious. No keg stand pictures. It sounds silly, but that can really turn you from a great candidate, to a poor one.
Also, become proactive. How do you separate yourself? You have to become a people person. If you’re not already, read some books about it or watch YouTube videos. Being a people person and knowing how to communicate are things that will ultimately help you get your foot in the door.  

A: Mike, thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me today. I really appreciate all the advice you have given.

M: Of course!
                                                                                               


No comments :

Post a Comment