Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tips for a Professional Phone Call

Yesterday, I was at the gym sweating it out to Beyoncé’s ‘Drunk in Love’ when my music was suddenly cut off by a phone call. I vaguely recognized the ten numbers that popped up on my screen and had a sneaking suspicion that it was not another telemarketing call, but rather a follow-up call from a phone interview I had the previous week.

As I watched my heart rate on the elliptical monitor rise from anxiety I began to wonder, should I answer it? What if it’s urgent? I was a second away from pressing the answer button before I realized I should not answer it. This was not the best scenario for me to sound professional or be properly prepared. I told myself, “Let it go to voicemail and call them back later.”

It’s later now and I am about to call them back. I figured this was the perfect opportunity to outline some tips for a professional phone call. Whether or not it is a phone interview you should always come across as professional, poised, and calm in any business related phone call.

1. Have the conversation in a quiet place

Do not make the mistake that I almost made. If you are caught off guard by an unexpected phone call, let it go to voicemail. Answering at the gym, on the side of the road, or anywhere that is not in a private and quiet place can cause numerous issues. If I had answered that phone call, not only would the person on the other line have heard the faint sound of ‘Sexy and I Know It’ by LMFAO and the whirring of the machines, but also the sound of me huffing and puffing as I tried to catch my breath. Not exactly new hire material.

2. Have a professional sounding voicemail

Frequently, people have voicemails that are misleading, confusing, hard to hear, or just downright immature. If you want to enter the professional world, your voicemail needs to sound like it. Stick with a simple, “Hi you have reached the voicemail of [Your Name]. I am not able to answer my phone at this time. Please leave your name and number and I will return your call as soon as I can.”

Talking about bad voicemails leads me to a serious pet peeve of mine, ring backs. Remember those? They were really popular just a few years ago and some people still have them. Nothing is more confusing or annoying than trying to call someone and hearing a song come out of the speaker of the phone. It is not acceptable. Sorry. Remove the ring backs now and stick with good old dial tones.

3. Have all your documents ready

Whether the call is a phone interview, business meeting, or a cold call, you need to have your information in front of you. This enables you to reference it at a moment’s notice. For a phone interview, have your resume and the job description at the ready. In addition, have a pen and paper. This enables you to jot down quick notes such as email addresses, phone numbers, or questions to ask the interviewer at a later point in the call. The more prepared you are, the less time you will have to spend looking for information and the more confident you will sound.

4. Talk Slowly and Smile

So many people have the tendency to talk fast or ramble when they are nervous. Avoid doing this at all costs. Take your time when talking. Speaking at a natural pace will help you to sound composed and confident. It will prevent you from ‘tripping’ over your own words. In addition, smile every now and then while you are talking. Smiling shows in your voice.

5. Wrap up all lose ends and finish strong

When nearing the end of a call, verbalize what will happen after the call. If it is a phone interview, say that you are interested in the position and then ask them what the next steps are in the interview process. From there, the interviewer will be able to outline them to you. If it is a business call, summarize what actions should happen once the call has ended. This ensures that everyone is on the same page and understands what is going on. When finishing the call, keep your ending short and sweet. Also, make sure to thank the other person for taking the time to speak with you.

The ability to conduct a professional phone call is a skill that will never go out of style. Take time to practice your call before you actually speak with the person. If everything goes right, you will walk away from the call sounding like a poised and professional person.

No comments :

Post a Comment